In contrast to the remainder of this wiki, this section is written under the assumption that the hike is made from North to South.
There are several ways to extend a GTA hike either towards the Mediterranean Sea or as part of the Sentiero Italia along the Appenine. The main variants are:
- Follow the GTA only to the Argentera massiv, then cross into France's Mercantour Park, visit the petroglyphs in Vallée des Merveilles and continue on GR52 towards the French Riviera.
- Near Punta Marguareis, turn right to follow the side ridge of the Alps that marks the French-Italian border and that descents strictly southbound towards the coast. Disadvantage: no water, no accomodation.
- Slighly east of the ridge, follow legs 5 to 1 of the Alta Via dei Monti Liguri to Ventimiglia
- Near Ormea or Garessio, cross over to legs 7 or 8 of the Alta Via dei Monti Liguri and continue eastbound.
- From Ormea, using Kompass map 641, find a diagonal trail that brings you in 2 or 3 days to the coast, e.g. at Ceriale.